Translate

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Ed Gilbert

As promised, an on-time post. Check out this guy!

http://www.mobygames.com/images/portraits/large/1125671301-00.jpg 

I apologize about the quality. It was the best image I could find.
 
Unfortunately, for this post, I had to pull from my list of "Late Greats." Ed Gilbert, may he rest in peace, was a veteran voice over artist, though probably better known to audiences as Fenton Hardy from The Hardy Boys.

In terms of voice over, Gilbert's resume consisted overwhelmingly of roles in Disney productions; mostly animated TV series, such as his role in the Aladdin animated series as the minor recurring character Phasir. Other examples include his replacement of Phil Harris as every Disney fan's favorite sloth bear, Baloo, in TaleSpin.

However, I bet based on his role as Baloo, you'd never have guessed that Gilbert was also the voice of the Mandarin in the original Iron Man cartoons. 

Ed Gilbert plays the Mandarin in this episode of the 1980s Iron Man cartoon. Don't feel as though you need to watch the whole thing. He should pop up in a matter of moments.


Phasir from the animated series Aladdin:
http://images.wikia.com/villains/images/0/05/Phasir.jpg


Baloo from TaleSpin:
http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101215003021/disney/images/5/5b/15420.jpg 

As I said before, Gilbert is one of the "Late Greats" I pulled out of my hat/list/sleeve, what have you, and so I obviously can't say what I would like to hear Gilbert voice in the future. However, I can say that it would be interesting to hear someone try and voice Gilbert, or try to emulate Phil Harris, as Gilbert did when voicing Baloo. Popular voice actor James Arnold Taylor is known for doing some epic impersonations of well-known people, ranging from Nathan Lane to Johnny Depp. Perhaps Taylor could add Gilbert's voice to his list of impersonations.

Gilbert died of lung cancer on May 8, 1999 at the age of 67.

No comments:

Post a Comment